Leasehold flats and houses: responsibilities for repairs

Find out who has to organise repairs and who pays for them when you have a leasehold flat or house.

Who pays for repairs in a leasehold home?

Leaseholders must pay for repairs that the lease says they are responsible for.

Leaseholders also usually have to contribute towards the cost of repairs that the freeholder is responsible for. You pay for these repairs through service charges.

Sinking fund for repairs

Leaseholders may pay into a sinking fund or reserve fund over a number of years. This can be used to pay for major repairs such as replacing a lift or roof.

You only have to pay into a sinking fund if your lease says you have to.

Buildings insurance

Check the lease to see if the freeholder or the leaseholders are responsible for insuring the building.

The freeholder's buildings insurance may cover all or part of the cost for example if damage is caused by an accident.

Each leaseholder usually has to pay a share of the total cost if anything isn't covered by insurance.

Freeholder responsibility for repairs

Your lease will set out who is responsible for carrying out repairs to your home, the building and to any shared facilities.

The freeholder is usually responsible for arranging repairs to:

  • the building's structure, including the roof and guttering

  • shared parts of the building, such as lifts and communal stairways

Leaseholder responsibility for repairs

Most leases say that the leaseholder is responsible for looking after the part of the building they lease.

This usually includes repairs to:

  • internal plumbing

  • wiring

  • plasterwork and floorboards

Leaseholders are also normally responsible for:

  • the paintwork and decoration of their flat

  • any carpets

  • furniture and appliances

Leaseholder's right to be consulted

The freeholder has to consult leaseholders before carrying out any repairs or building work that will cost more than £250 per leaseholder.

You may not have to pay all the costs if the freeholder doesn't consult you properly.

Contact LEASE for advice if you think your freeholder has not consulted you properly.

How to report repair problems to the freeholder

Write to your freeholder as soon as there are any problems:

  • give details of the repairs needed that they are responsible for

  • give the freeholder a realistic deadline for carrying them out

  • date your letter and keep a copy

If the freeholder refuses to do repairs

Your freeholder is breaking the conditions of your lease if they don't carry out repairs they are responsible for.

Get advice if you are in this situation. You may be able to take your freeholder to court to force them to do the work. The court could also order them to pay you compensation.

Report the problem to  the council's environmental health department if disrepair means that your home is dangerous or damaging to your health. The council can order the freeholder to do the work

Find your local council on GOV.UK

Still need advice?

Last updated: 6 May 2018

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help